How To Clean Turkey
Thanksgiving is never complete without a turkey and hence, learning how to clean turkey is always useful, especially if you and your family can't resist the mesmerising flavor of turkey roast. So, with no further ado, let us get started with the steps to be followed for cleaning turkey.
Requirements for Cleaning Turkey
- Trough of cool water.
Steps for Cleaning Turkey
- Defrost the turkey by immersing the frozen bird in a pot of cold water. If you have time, place it in the refrigerator. Proceed to the next step once the turkey is completely defrosted.
- Look inside the cavity of turkey and remove the giblet, plastic bag and the neck.
- Put your hand inside the bird and verify if it has defrosted completely. If not, resort to immersing in cold water for quick results.
- Wash the turkey well, inside out under running water. Rub the skin well to get rid of all adhering bacteria and other contaminants.
- Place the turkey in an upright position in the sink and run water into its cavity for a few minutes. Strain the water intermittently and continue to pour in and out until the water drains clear. Repeat the same by pouring water through the posterior cavity first and then again through the neck cavity.
- Rinse the turkey and pat it dry.
- Turkey is ready to be stuffed and roasted.
Tips to Clean Turkey
- Always disinfect sink and surrounding areas after cleaning turkey.
- Wash and clean turkey only when planning to use immediately.