How To Adopt Green Eating Habits?
In today’s world, being environmentally conscious is very important – and when we talk about reducing our carbon footprints, the most important dilemma that we are faced with is how to adopt green eating habits? So here are a few tips following which you can easily turn your eating habits green.
Instead of buying food from the supermarket or the grocery store near you, try buying food that is grown locally. Eating locally not just lets you support the regional economy, it also gets you fresher produce. But most importantly, foods stored at a grocery shop are usually delivered by pollution-exuding vehicles, which in turn increase your carbon footprints tremendously. Therefore, preferring to buy foods from a local farmer is a smarter way of turning your eating habits green.
The very fact that organic farming eliminates the usage of pesticides and chemicals, makes is a greener and healthier choice – not only for the environment, but for you as well. Not just that, organic foods also ensure that the foods or vegetables are not genetically modified and that the meat is free of antibiotics and free hormones. This in turn reduces the risks of cancer, organ damage, neurological impairments and other associated health issues.
As a general rule to turn your eating habits green, cut down on meat to reduce emissions and also to improve your health. However, if you must, then choose the right kind of meat. For example, just 10 ounces of beef need 85 times more water than the same amount of potatoes. Now, since our water resources are limited, this affects our “go green” motto immensely. Therefore, cut down on beef. Perhaps chicken is a better option. Again, choose “grass fed” meat over the “grain fed” ones, for the latter cause far greater emissions.
Choose Sustainable Seafood:
Similarly, we need to keep an eye on the kind of fish or seafood we consume. Certain fishes are more carbon intensive than others. For example, fishes caught near the shore, in huge numbers are far less carbon intensive than the ones that need you to travel to the deep seas, burning gallons of fuel. Similarly, while choosing seafood, be considerate and be smart and go for the species that are not fully exploited or depleted. Some of the most abundant species are mackerel, lobster, cod, crab, tuna, squid, prawns, etc. The ones that are rare and should be avoided are rockfish, scallops, sharks, etc,
Give those Bottled Water a Miss:
In the race of going green, bottled water can never ever match the advantages of tap water. Always, fill up your bottles from tap water rather than buying those bottled waters. It is believed that about “1.5 million barrels of oil go into making the plastic for water bottles every single year” – that is indeed a whooping jaw-dropping figure. At the same time, only a meager 35 percent of these bottles is actually recycled. The remaining 65 percent is more than enough to clog and pollute the whole land. Therefore, give a miss to those bottled water. If filtered water is your concern, set up a good water-purifying equipment at home and refill your bottles from there.
Thus, adopting green eating habits is not about sacrificing good food and going on a “no-tasty food diet”. It is indeed a lot about being a little more aware, little more conscious and a little more responsible - and about making smarter choices. Following these five ways to turn your eating habits green and making them part of your daily life is therefore, a very good start.
Photo Courtesy: static3.flyingsolo.com.au