Home Remedies For Laryngitis
If you croak every time you try to speak, despite throat-clearing, then in all probability that you have contracted laryngitis or inflammation of the larynx or the voice box. Let us explore some of the home remedies for laryngitis.
Laryngitis home remedies
The causes for laryngitis include a bacterial or viral infection, common cold over-abuse of the voice box through screaming, shouting, etc., smoking, or Gastroesophageal reflux disease (renders a feeling of something stuck in the windpipe). Laryngitis is not the same as sore throat, as the former is caused due to swelling in the voice box and the voice folds. The condition can cause pain along with constant clearing of the throat.
Effective home remedies for laryngitis
- Try to keep the throat moist as far as possible. Swallow often. Dryness in the throat will only worsen the condition as there will be no lubrication for the soft tissues of the voice box. Drink lots of warm liquids.
- Salt water gargling after meal or every 2 hours can help soothe the voice box. Salt with its microbial properties can help fight any infection resident in the larynx. Additionally, salt also helps to retain moisture. Thus salt water gargling is test-proven home remedy for laryngitis.
- As laryngitis brings with it dryness in the throat region, it is best to eat or chew on saliva-stimulants (foods that help in saliva production). Gargle with salted lemon juice to get the benefits of the lemon’s mildly acidic properties and the salt’s humidifying attributes.
- Gargling with vinegar is another good home remedy for laryngitis. Vinegar creates an acidic environment in the larynx region inhibiting the growth of all kinds of microorganisms.
- The ever health-friendly garlic can be used as an effective laryngitis home remedy. Suck on a clove of garlic as the essence contains a compound called allicin, which helps to kill microbes (bacteria and viruses).
- Ginger as the “homely spice” is a life-saver when it comes to laryngitis. Drink Ginger tea twice or thrice in a day. Or grate ginger and extract its juice. Mix it with honey and turmeric and have it twice or three times a day.
- Steam inhalation helps as well by clearing the airways and providing moisture to the larynx. The hot humidity factor eases out the constricted tissues and helps them relax. Steam inhalation twice or thrice a day proves to be effective for laryngitis.
- Be watchful about any ongoing medications. Antihistamines and diuretics can lead to dryness in the throat and the voice box.
- Make sure to keep the environment humid by using a vaporizer as dry air can further aggravate the condition.
- Avoid smoking as tobacco only adds up to the irritation.
Points of caution
The above-mentioned home remedies may not be applicable to pregnant women and nursing mothers as the response levels of the body system differ during such conditions.
You can now brace up and battle the nightingale to outwit the “frog from bingle bog”, with home remedies for laryngitis.
Photo courtesy : bladderinfectionhomeremedies.info