Heart Healthy Dinner Ideas
A good dinner should be healthy, tasty, and nutritious, doubly so when it is meant to be beneficial for your heart. Being on a diet does not mean that you have to eat plain bland food. It is possible to have a heart friendly food that is palatable yet nourishing. Here are some ideas for making a delicious heart healthy dinner.
Menu Ideas for a Heart Friendly Dinner
An entire dinner, from the starter to the dessert, can be made heart friendly if you choose the right ingredients. A few suggestions to help you get started:
Soups and salads are ideal for starters, and you can make them heart healthy by cutting away high-fat ingredients. Here are some ideas:-
· Carrot soup with a splash of lime juice and spices would make for a great starter.
· A vegetable stock or a chicken stock are other options you may want to try.
· Salads incorporating lentils, beans, tomato or even toasted almonds are good for the heart.
· Salads such as the mixed bean salad, French green lentil salad, spinach berry salad, or a grilled chicken salad are tasty as well as heart friendly.
Options for a healthy main course are many. You can use any recipe that uses lean meat, chicken, vegetables, oatmeal, or fish, such as salmon. These contain the essential vitamins, minerals, proteins, and omega-3 fatty acid that are good for the heart. Try out these options-
Vegetarian kebabs, banana oatmeal with syrup, sweet potato pancakes, pasta with spinach and raisins are good choices for a vegetarian dinner.
- For others, baked chicken and rice, baked or grilled salmon, glazed turkey breast, honey crusted chicken, or pasta with grilled chicken will be great for a main course.
A heart-friendly side dish can be made with ingredients such as beans, carrots, potatoes, broccoli, asparagus, green peas, raisins, and almonds. You can try one of these for a yummy, yet nutritious, side dish:
- Roasted potatoes
- Spicy cabbage
- Sweet carrots
- Sautéed fresh corn
- Black bean cakes
Everybody loves desserts, and being on a heart diet, why should you skip them? You can include a lot of fruits in your dessert to make them healthy and tasty.
- Baked apples with almonds, fresh fruit kebabs, mixed fresh berries, strawberries with fat-free cream, cheesecake with low-fat cottage cheese are great desserts to finish your dinner with.
- If you are a chocolate lover, you can make souffles with unsweetened cocoa or a fruit snack with a chocolate dip using chocolate protein powder.
- You can also add an ice cream to your heart healthy dinner menu. Simply whip up vanilla soy milk and chilled yoghurt. Add honey and nuts to this, and you can relish a yummy nutritious ice cream that you don’t have to feel guilty about.
Nature has bestowed us with many wonderful and healthy ingredients. Just choose the right ones and let your imagination run wild to make a delicious heart healthy dinner. Try the suggestions given above and do let us know how you liked them!
Image Credit: healthydinnerrecipes