Healthy Meals for Air Travel
Air travel means limited food availability. This becomes worse with the bad taste, poor hygiene of the food and above all the extra amount that we have to pay for that bad food. Also, the foods available at the terminals are mostly fast food and they cost too much. We all know that fast food is not such a health option. How to deal with situation? We can prepare some healthy meals at home and enjoy our travel by taking them in our carry-on luggage. Let’s talk about different issues involved in carrying food from home.
Meals that can and can’t be included in carry on
Due to the enhanced security measures due to threat of terrorist attacks, these days you have to be careful about the rules made by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) that puts restriction on what you can take on an airplane.
The limit on liquids is 3-ounce (exceptions are only for liquid medications, baby formula). So, drinks are out until you pass through security. You can also pick up bottled beverages on the way to your gate. It’s better to buy a large bottle of water, and possibly milk or juice if you have children, to get you through the flight.
Whatever food you take through security, make sure it is wrapped or contained in some way. The exception is whole, fresh fruits; as long as they are uneaten and unpeeled, they need not be wrapped or in a container.
In –Flight meals and snacks
You can’t carry everything of your choice to the airport. You have to be a little careful about that. Try to put meals and snacks that have proteins in them, because it will help keep hunger under control until you’ve landed. The following list of healthy snacks and foods can be combined to make easy meals:
• Crackers with cheese or peanut butter
• Fresh or dried fruit
• Trail mix
• Granola bars
• Sandwiches on whole-grain bread with cheese or peanut butter
• Fresh-cut vegetables, like celery or carrots
• Rice cakes
• Low-fat or baked chips
• Beef jerky
Some more travel-friendly tips for easy meals
Following are some more other tips that you should keep in your mind while preparing for your air-travel:
1. Keep it solid: Solid foods can get through security, but anything that is a liquid or gel probably won't. For this reason, you should avoid carrying foods like yogurt, applesauce, pudding, and gelatin.
2. Avoid bringing foods that are oven-hot or refrigerator-cold: Normally a food is considered as fresh till two hours once it is taken out of the oven and refrigerator, respectively. However, insulated bags may help, but with common travel delays, many hours could pass between the time you leave home and your flight’s actual takeoff.
3. Shop wisely at the gate: You can also buy meals and snacks once you've gone through security, also many airports now sell healthy snacks such as fresh sandwiches and salads that you can take onboard.
4. Be mindful of other passengers: You should carry foods that should not be strong-smelling and unhealthy foods like pizza, French fries, and anything over laden with onions or garlic.
Keep in mind these simple yet useful points and you can feel that after the travel that you have not wasted your money on bad and unhealthy meals and you will feel better after the healthy meal. Happy journey!
image courtesy: http://s3.images.com