Grape Allergy-Causes, Symptoms, And Cure
Grape allergy is a problem that needs to be understood. The root of the cause may not be present in the grapes itself although you get to experience the symptoms whenever you happen to consume grapes or wines which are fermented products prepared from the sweet fruit itself. Read on to learn about the various effects, causes and modes of treatment that are available if you happen to be plagued by grape allergies.
Reasons for Grape Allergy
If you are allergic to grapes, your body would react violently after the chemicals present in the fruit are identified as harmful allergens. A specific antibody known as IgE is created to fight the grape chemicals and your body would experience a surge of histamine which is primarily responsible for the allergic symptoms.
The grape might not be the one responsible for triggering the adverse symptoms though. The fruit is usually sprayed heavily with pesticide which contains sulfites.Yeast also found to be growing on the surface of the sweet fruit, cling to the fruit, and get ingested along with it. Being allergic to molds, sulfites, or yeast may also result in allergy making it necessary for you to be tested for all of them. Raisins and wines are two by products of the grapes which may also not agree with you if you are allergic to grapes.
Grape Allergy Symptoms
The following symptoms may occur if you are allergic to grapes.
- Oral allergy symptoms which include itching around the mouth, oral cavity and gums along with a strange tingling on the surface of the skin.
- Skin rashes in the form of eczema, hives and itching along with redness and inflammation.
- Nasal irritation and congestion leading to rhinitis which is manifested by a runny nose.
- Red eyes which have tears streaming almost continuously.
- Shortness of breath and wheezing.
- Anaphylaxis is a severe allergic condition which is considered to be life threatening unless treated immediately.
Diagnosis of Grape Allergy
The following tests are conducted to diagnose the condition properly.
- Skin Prick Test- A small amount of the allergen is injected beneath the skin and the reactions observed by the allergist.
- Blood Test- A sample taken from the patient is tested for the presence of IgE which indicates that presence of allergy.
- Checking for other food allergies is important as grapes are normally exposed to a lot of contaminants.
Treating Grape Allergy Symptoms
- Medications for asthma can be used for treating the respiratory problems.
- Anti histamine drugs available over the counter can help to eliminate the runny nose and nasal congestion.
- Eye drops help in controlling the infection of the eyes.
- The skin rashes and inflammation are eliminated to a great extent by applying medicated skin lotions.
- Severe reactions require epinephrine injections which can be self administered as well.
- Avoiding grapes along with all related products is the most effective way of preventing the reactions occurring again.
It is possible to keep the grape allergy under control by taking medical advice and opting to consume the organic variety if you are not actually allergic to the fruit itself.
Image Credit- ifood.tv