Gluten Free Pita Health Benefits
Many people love pita bread, but the gluten free variety may be more suitable for people with gluten allergy or celiac disease. Flours required to make the bread can cause havoc with your health if you ignore it and insist on eating the regular variety. Listed below are some of the tried and tested flour substitutes that can be used to make this dish free of gluten.
Gluten Free Alternatives for Pita
A pita bread is a round bread with a pocket in the middle, created by steam that puffs it up. The main ingredient for this dish is the flour. If you are on a gluten free diet, you will be delighted to know the various options you have to make a gluten-free pita.
- All purpose gluten-free flour – You can get this from your grocery store in the natural foods section. This flour can be used to make your pita gluten free.
- Brown rice flour – Derived from unpolished rice, this flour is rich in vitamins and fiber. The fiber content in very high and helps with the digestive process. The flour also contains manganese, which is good for bone health. It is also low in fat.
- Tapioca flour – This can have a mild sweet flavor to it. However, it is completely gluten free and is rich in protein. Protein is essential for the functioning of every cell in your body.
- Sorghum flour – Being a rich source of antioxidants, the sorghum flour keeps your cells healthy. It is also rich in B vitamins and protein. The B vitamins aids in producing energy from the food you eat.
- Amaranth flour – This is high in amino acids, protein, and fiber. Studies have shown that amaranth can help people with heart disease and hypertension. It helps regulate blood pressure and cholesterol levels in your body.
- Coconut flour – This is a very good option for gluten-free flour. It also has a high percentage of dietary fiber when compared to any other flour. The coconut flour is rich in lauric acid, a safer fat for you. It can stimulate your metabolism and strengthens your immunity.
- Almond flour – Made from blanched almonds, this flour is an excellent source of vitamin E. The almond flour can aid in promoting your overall health. It also has healthy fats, which are good for your body. It can help reduce your LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol) and bring down your risk for heart disease or heart attack.
You can use either one or a combination of the above flours to make a gluten-free pita bread. These flours will not only help you avoid gluten, but will also provide you with extra nourishment. Try making your favorite pita with these and do let us know the outcome.