Food Pyramid For Kids - Nutrition Guide
One: Carbohydrates: - Utmost important for 2-3 year olds.
• It is a good source of energy.
• You have to include at least 6 servings of carbohydrates in your child’s meals every day.
• Include foods rich in carbohydrates like oats, rice, cereals, grains and wheat.
• These are essential to reduce obesity.
Two: Plant Oils: - Essential to include in the diet of children who are 2.5 years old and above.
• Choose healthy oil for your children.
• Include oils such as sunflower, corn, soya bean oil or olive oil.
• You should avoid butter and ghee for your child.
Three: Fruits and vegetables: Essential for children above 3 years
• Include at least 6 servings of vegetables and fruits.
• Include vegetables which are dark green and orange as these are loaded with minerals and vitamins.
• These have low calories with high nutritional values.
Four: Beans, nuts, legumes: Children above 3.5 years
• These are rich in iron, zinc, magnesium.
• You can include these for their dinner and lunch.
• Include them as their tiffin menu for school
Five: Fish, meat, poultry – Children above 4 years
• Include foods which are made from meat, fish and poultry.
• These are rich in calcium, zinc, iron, magnesium and minerals.
• Include foods such as boiled eggs, grilled fish or meat for their lunch or dinner.
• It is good to include at least 3 servings of meat and eggs in a week for the essential supply of amino acids and vitamins.
Six: Dairy Products - Important for all children...all age groups.
Dairy products are most important for children, though the ways of eating these usually depends on the age of the children. Every child needs to have milk and milk products in different forms. You need to choose a product as per the health of your child. Choose between milk, yogurt, cheese and other milk products which you love to eat.
This pyramid is a guide which helps parents to decide the nutrition which they can choose for their kids. It will ensure that the child gets a balanced food requirement throughout the growing years.