Dressing Allergy-Causes, Symptoms, And Cure
Trying to deduce a salad dressing allergy is bound to be tricky. The amount of ingredients, flavorings, and seasoning that goes into a dressing can be extremely varied. Each of the constituents might actually be an allergen or your body might actually react to the preservative that is used in it. Spooning the dressing right out of a bottle may be not be a right way to consume it especially if you already are allergic to certain substances. Read on to find out how best to remain safe despite being allergic to particular salad dressings.
Reasons For Dressing Allergy
The reason behind developing allergies is simple enough. Every time your body identifies a protein as a harmful allergen it flares up by producing antibodies called IgE which in turn stimulates the mast cells to secrete histamine, a chemical that is responsible for the allergic symptoms.
However, it is mandatory to check each and every one of the dressing ingredients carefully as mustard, eggs, milk, gluten, mayonnaise and even vinegar might actually be the reason behind your discomfort. Special dressings containing poppy seeds or the home ranch varieties can also provoke allergic reaction on account of their specific ingredients. Xanthan gum, a thickening agent used in commercial dressings might also be the culprit so try to list all ingredients carefully once you experience the symptoms.
Dressing Allergy Symptoms
The symptoms that occur as a manifestation of dressing allergy are similar to most of the principal constituent allergies and include the following:-
- Skin rashes and itching along with redness of the skin.
- Inflammation of the mouth and lips along with flushing of the face.
- Breathing distress which results in wheezing.
- Hay fever with continuous sneezing along with a runny nose and nasal congestion.
- Digestive problems that may include abdominal cramps, diarrhea, and vomiting.
- Sudden decrease in blood pressure may cause unconsciousness and become life threatening if ignored.
Treating Dressing Allergy Symptoms
- Eating salads without the dressing is an easy way out. However, it is necessary to get yourself tested by consulting a qualified professional and detect the food that might be offending to your body.
- Antihistamine formulations help in treating the milder symptoms effectively while the cortosteroids can be applied topically can relieve the skin itching and rashes completely.
- Anaphylaxis or severe life threatening symptoms require medical intervention immediately and can only be lessened with the administration of epinephrine.
There is no cause to worry unduly if you experience the symptoms of salad dressing allergy. All you have to do is to refrain from a particular ingredient by switching to another dressing and you are likely to enjoy your salad in a new form.
Image Credit- fancyporter.blogspot.com