Did You Know? All You Ever Needed to Know About Cake
Check out the following blog with all of the information you ever needed to know about cake!
- Cake baking dates back to the Ancient Egyptians. Anthropologists believe the Ancient Egyptians were the first culture to acquire advanced baking skills.
- Did you know that the word “cake” comes from the Old Norse “kaka?”
- Did you know that cakes were considered a symbol of well-being by early American cooks?
- There is a reason why fruitcakes are made to last: Medieval bakers made fruitcakes and heavily spiced cakes (such as gingerbread) specifically for their ability to keep for several months at a time.
- It was the inventions and manufacturing of baking soda and baking powder in the mid-nineteenth century that played a major role in the popularity of cake baking by home cooks across the United States and Canada.
- The ability to bake a good cake was a prized skill among housewives in early to mid-20th century American and Canada They were often referred to as “cut and come again” cakes, implying abundance and hospitality.
- Did you know that chocolate cake is one of the top favorite North American desserts (second only to ice cream)?
- Given the current economic trends in the US and Canada, there has been a sharp rise in the number of people reporting that they are cooking and baking at home.
- Did you know that the current economic trends in the US and Canada have more people making comfort foods, such as cakes and other old-fashioned desserts?
- Baking a cake from scratch is a great way to teach children about reading, math and science
- Did you know that many commercial bakeries—including high-end ones—use cake mixes to prepare their cakes? With Piece of Cake, you can make exponentially more delicious—and all-natural—cakes with incredible ease and minimal expense.
Want to learn even more about cake? Keep reading…
- Did you know that you can make your own all-natural cake mixes, including gluten free and vegan cake mixes? They can be stored for months and are just as easy to make as commercial mixes, but no artificial colors or preservatives. They’re included as a bonus, in Piece of Cake.
- The trend towards cooking and baking with whole, natural foods has increased substantially in the US and Canada over the past decade Piece of Cake follows this trend, offering easy cake recipes that are as easy as cake mix, but with wholesome, natural ingredients.
- Did you know you can make vegan cakes just like your grandmother used to bake (it sounds wacky, and it is—wacky cakes, made without eggs, milk or butter—have been around for more than 70 years)?
- Did you know that you can make most any homemade cake healthier in an instant? Simply swap an equal amount of whole-wheat pastry flour for the all-purpose flour in the recipe.
- You can make many cakes gluten-free in an instant by swapping an equal amount of almond flour for the all-purpose flour. This works especially well with single-layer cakes.
- Did you know that you can dress up any cake in seconds by sifting with confectioner’s sugar or unsweetened cocoa powder?
- Did you know that frostings and icings are more than just decoration and flavor? They are a secret weapon for hiding any number of flaws, including a cake that emerges from the pan in multiple pieces.
Excerpted from Piece of Cake! By Camilla V. Saulsbury © 2011 Robert Rose Inc. www.robertrose.ca. Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved.