Black Pepper Allergy-Causes, Symptoms, And Cure
Black pepper allergy is not widely recognized; however, they exist and people often overlook the condition due to the insignificant amount of the condiment used in food preparation. The allergy symptoms become more evident when an individual consumes black pepper corns or the cracked corns instead of the powdered form. Find out more about the oft-overlooked allergy by reading about it.
Reasons for Black Pepper Allergy
The pepper proteins are identified as harmful allergens by our body and the body tries to eliminate them by releasing histamine, a chemical responsible for triggering certain symptoms which can vary from being mildly uncomfortable to serious life threatening ones. You are also likely to be allergic to white pepper if you cannot tolerate the black variety without experiencing the allergic symptoms.
Black Pepper Allergy Symptoms
- Itchiness around the lips, on the tongue and back of the throat.
- Inflammation of tongue and throat which may hamper the act of swallowing.
- Skin hives and eczema patches all over the body.
- Persistent cough is a typical symptom associated with pepper allergy.
- Runny nose and watering of the eyes.
- Vomiting, indigestion and stomach cramps
Treating Black Pepper Allergy
- Avoiding black pepper in all forms is necessary to prevent recurrence of the allergy.
- Anti histamines can be obtained from a chemist’s shop without any prescription which helps to eliminate the common cold like symptoms.
- Skin lotions and medicated creams can alleviate the skin problems satisfactorily.
- Severe reactions need epinephrine injections with the patients requiring medical intervention.
The good news is that you can enjoy all your favorite dishes even if you have been diagnosed with black pepper allergy. Just omit seasoning them with pepper and you can safely tuck into your favorite delicacies.
Image Credit- ifood.tv