Reasons To Eat Almonds For Breakfast
Benefits of eating Almonds for breakfast
1. Good for brain development and function
Almonds are a rich source of essential fatty acids, which are important for brain development and cognition. These nuts, moreover, provide good amounts of carbohydrates, which is the primary source of energy to the brain. These 2 nutrient classes together enhance brain activity and cognitive functions that help one to stay active through the day.
2. Helps control cholesterol
Unlike the popular myth, the fatty acids present in almonds are good fatty acids, which help improve the lipid profile of individuals with chronic hypercholesterolemia. Moreover, being a good source of fiber, (they contain both soluble and insoluble fibers), they also help keep blood sugar and triglyceride levels in check. All these actions together help prevent CVDs in general.
3. Helps reduce weight
The abundance of soluble fibers in the cookies provides very high satiety value. This helps curb sweet cravings and junk food addiction. Almonds have a naturally sweet taste, which helps reduce the amount of sugar added to cookies. If prepared using the right adjuncts, these cookies can actually help maintain weight loss regimen.
4. Good for skin
Almonds are rich source of tocopherol / Vitamin E: a nutrient known for preventing premature aging, wrinkles, and promoting supple skin. Irregular bowel movements is purported to cause acne, the high fiber content of these cookies helps prevent this malady as well.
5. Galactogogue – promotes lactation
Almonds are a known galactogogue. Regular consumption of almonds from the 1st post partum week promotes lactation and helps in growth and development of the infant. Almonds have a good blend of essential fatty acids, which promote healthy brain development of the baby.
Best ways of preparing almonds for breakfast
· Freshly soaked almonds: This is probably the easiest and best way to include these tree nuts in your breakfast table. Just soak a few sweet almonds in tap water, remove the skin in the morning, and have them as is.
· Almonds and oatmeal Porridge: Sick of the same old oatmeal preparations, try adding some almond slivers to it. Soak steel cut oats in water overnight and cook it with water, sugar, herbs, and seasonings of your choice. Top it with almond bits. Alternately, you can also try cooking oats with almond powder. It is quick and delectable.
· Almond Pancakes: Mix ready almond shavings or powder with eggs, flour, milk, salt, and other seasoning of your choice. You can also add some veggies for added texture and flavor. Pour the batter on a hot pan and your pancakes are ready.
· Almond cookies: This is probably the most popular snack cum breakfast item featuring almonds. However, when opting for cookies remember to read the labels carefully and avoid the ones that contain too much sugar and fat.
The aforementioned 5 reasons are just too few to enumerated all the healthful effects that these nuts have on one’s mind and body. So, unless you are allergic to nuts and/or almonds, consider it as a food that helps your heart and lowers weight. Make a smart choice and have an almond for your breakfast.