10 Vegetables To Grow Without Sunlight
Not many people have the luxury of living in a home that has ample sunlight to create a vegetable garden. For all those kitchen garden enthusiasts I have good news, you can even make upto 10 vegetables to grow without sunlight. As we have studied in school, sunlight is essential for healthy growth of plants and animals, it holds true only to a certain extent. It is because there are many vegetables that grow in shade as well and sometimes better also. As a thumb rule remember that vegetable plants that are planted for fruit and flower are not the vegetables to grow in shade. So apparently you have to find about the vegetables to grow without sunshine. I will tell about the 10 vegetables to grow without sunlight. Leafy Vegetables Green leaves are the vegetables that grow in shade. The only difference between the leaves grown with and without sunlight is in the thickness of leaf. Leafy vegetable that grow in the shade is slightly thinner but has the same taste. Examples of leafy vegetables to grow without sunlight are as below.
- Swiss chard
- Use fresh soil for planting indoor vegetable plants.
- Mix manure in the soil before planting. Use of organic manure is recommended.
- Keep soils testing kit to check the quality of the soil before planting.
- Avoid over watering of indoor vegetable plants. Over watering plus no sunshine will cause diseases in plant.
- Keep the pots moist for vegetables to grow without sunlight.
shahid says :
Posted on: 5 January 2011 - 2:25am
Hisham says :
I'm living in a high rise housing with sufficient sunlight at my corridor. Thanks for the article now i would try plant those. :)
Posted on: 16 March 2011 - 2:23am